The General Motors diet program, which is most popularly known as the GM diet plan, is a 1 week diet regime that helps people lose quickly weight around 10 to 15 pounds without doing any exercise. This special 7 day diet plan was developed for the employees and dependents of the General Motors, Inc., in conjunction with a grant from the US Department of Agriculture and FDA. The final diet regime was approved by the General Motors Corp. on August 15, 1985.
Advantages of GM Diet Program:
The main reason why it is called the GM diet plan is because it was developed for the well being of the General Motors Corp employees. The main benefit of this 1 week diet is that people lose weight fast without performing any exercises.
- Lose around 10 to 15 pounds in 7 days
- Gives you a glowing skin naturally
- Flushes out harmful impurities or toxins from your body, thus making you lighter and more energetic
- Trims your belly and waist in less time
Just 7 days of dedication and you’ll shed lots of pounds easily, that too without starving. If you wanted to lose weight quickly for any upcoming occasion in a week or month, then the GM diet program is for you.
GM Diet Plan for Non-Vegetarians
In this diet plan, you’re advised to eat a selected variety of foods on each day during the 1 week period along with a special soup called ‘Wonder Soup’, in addition to lots of H20 (at least 8 to 10 glasses or 2 to 3 liters of water per day).
Day 1: Today is the fruits day. You’re allowed to eat all varieties of fruits that are available to you, except Bananas. For best results, it is suggested to munch more on watermelons.
Sample Meal Plan for Day 1
- Breakfast: 1 medium Apple and a glass of water
- Morning Snack: 1 bowl of grapes and 1 glass of water
- Lunch: 2 to 3 slices of watermelon and 2 glasses of water
- Evening Snack: 1 orange, 1 pear and 2 glasses of water
- Dinner: 2 slices of watermelon, 1 guava and 2 glasses of water
Day 2: Today is the green day. You’re allowed to eat all varieties of vegetables, either cooked (boiled) or raw, according to your taste. The only rule on this day is that you’re allowed to eat 1 large or 2 small potatoes (baked) with 1 pat of butter for breakfast. During the rest of the day, potato is not allowed.
Sample Meal Plan for Day 2
- Breakfast: 1 large boiled potato with 1 tsp butter and 1 glass of water
- Morning Snack: 1 cup boiled broccoli, beet, cucumber and 2 glasses of water
- Lunch: 1 bowl of mixed vegetables (cabbage, lettuce mix, carrot, green beans) and 1 glass of water
- Evening Snack: 1 cup of boiled cauliflower, 1 onion, ½ carrot and 2 glasses of water
- Dinner: 1 bowl of mixed vegetables and 2 glasses of water
Day 3: Today is fruits & veggies day. You’re allowed to eat both vegetables and fruits of your choice on this day, with an exception of Bananas and Potatoes.
Sample Meal Plan for Day 3
- Breakfast: 1 medium Apple and 2 glasses of water
- Morning Snack: 1 bowl of mixed vegetables (cucumber, onion, carrot, lettuce, cabbage) and 1 glasses of water
- Lunch: 3 slices of watermelon or ½ papaya and 1 glass of water
- Evening Snack: 1 orange or 1 pear or 1 guava with 2 glasses of water
- Dinner: 1 bowl of mixed vegetables (boiled broccoli, ½ beet, carrot, cucumber, beans) with 2 glasses of water
Day 4: Today is milkshake day. You’re allowed to eat as many as 6 small or 4 large bananas and drink 3 glasses (250 ml each) of milk (skim) throughout the day. Whenever the hunger pangs strike, you can drink the cabbage soup.
Sample Meal Plan for Day 4
- Breakfast: 2 bananas and 1 glass of warm milk (250ml) & 1 glass of water
- Morning Snack: 1 glass milkshake made with 250ml of milk and 2 bananas & 2 glasses of water
- Lunch: 1 bowl of wonder soup made with cabbage, carrots, tomatoes and onions & 2 glasses of water
- Evening Snack: 2 bananas and 1 glass of milk or make it as a shake and drink & 2 glasses of water
- Dinner: 1 bowl of wonder soup and 1 glass of water
Day 5: Today is a feast day. You’re allowed to eat 10 oz (280 gms) of lean beef (or skinless chicken or fish) along with 6 whole tomatoes for the day. Today, you can also have the ‘Power soup’ which is made of tomatoes.
Sample Meal Plan for Non-vegetarians on Day 5
- Breakfast: Lean beef or skinless chicken breast or fish, baked or roasted with 1 tsp olive oil, 2 tomatoes and 1 glass of water
- Morning Snack: 2 tomatoes and 2 glasses of water
- Lunch: Soup made with meat/chicken, tomato and 2 glasses of water
- Evening Snack: 1 tomato and 2 glasses of water
- Dinner: Baked or fried beef/chicken/fish with 2 glasses of water
Day 6: Today is the same as the fifth day, except that you need to replace the tomatoes with your favourite vegetables (no potatoes) along with 10 oz of lean beef/skinless chicken/fish. Whenever hungry, you can drink the wonder soup aka cabbage soup.
Sample Meal Plan for Non-vegetarians on Day 6
- Breakfast: Lean beef or skinless chicken breast or fish, baked or roasted with 1 tsp olive oil and 1 glass of water
- Morning Snack: 1 bowl of cabbage soup and 2 glasses of water
- Lunch: Soup made with meat/chicken, vegetables and 2 glasses of water
- Evening Snack: 1 bowl of mixed vegetable salad and 2 glasses of water
- Dinner: Baked or fried beef/chicken/fish with 2 glasses of water
Day 7: Today is the juice day. You’re allowed to eat brown rice, vegetables (no potatoes) and drink fruit juices of your choice. BTW, you’ve successfully completed the General Motors diet.
Sample Meal Plan for Day 7
- Breakfast: 1 bowl or watermelon and 1 glass of water
- Morning Snack: 1 cup of boiled broccoli, beet, cucumber and onions with 2 glasses of water
- Lunch: 1 cup of brown rice (200 gms when cooked) along with your favourite vegetables (prepare it as a pulao/mixed rice) and 2 glasses of water
- Evening Snack: 1 glass of fruit juice (apple or pear) and 1 glass of water
- Dinner: 1 cup of brown rice mixed with vegetables and 2 glasses of water; 1 glass of orange juice
Day 8: Today is the awesome day. When you woke up today, you’ll find yourself lighter by at least 10 pounds and also notice a glow on your face due to the cleansing. However, if you get back to the regular eating habits, then you’ll gain back all the weight you’ve lost during the 7 day GM diet program. Since there is no permanent solution to keep the pounds off, it is advised to follow a healthy lifestyle to maintain the weight.
For that, you may consider eating a 1500 calorie diet plan (for women) and 1800 calorie diet plan (for men) in order to maintain your ideal weight.
GM Diet Plan for Vegetarians
If you’re vegetarian trying this best way to lose weight through the General Motors diet program, then you can follow the below regimen.
Day 1 to 4: The GM diet plan for day 1, day 2, day 3 and day 4 is same for both vegetarians and non-vegetarians. So, you should only worry about the day 5 and 6, if you’re a vegetarian.
Day 5: Instead of the beef/chicken/fish, you can eat brown rice, paneer (Indian cheese) and tomatoes. BTW, if you’re an eggetarian who eat eggs, but not chicken/meat, then you can replace meat with 6 eggs along with 6 whole tomatoes. You can also prepare a tomato soup and drink it whenever you’re hungry today.
Sample Meal Plan for Vegetarians on Day 5
- Breakfast: 1 bowl of boiled kidney beans (Rajma) and 2 tomatoes
- Morning Snack: 1 cup of curd or tofu and 2 glasses of water
- Lunch: 1 cup or 200 gms of cooked brown rice with 2 tomatoes, spinach, paneer (Indian cheese) and 2 glasses of water
- Evening Snack: Mixed sprouts salad with onions, 2 tomatoes, pepper, lemon juice and 2 glasses of water
- Dinner: 1 bowl of tomato soup & 2 glasses of water
Day 6: Eat brown rice, paneer and vegetables of your choice on this day. You’re also allowed to drink the cabbage soup today.
Sample Meal Plan for Vegetarians on Day 6
- Breakfast: 1 bowl of mixed vegetable salad and 2 glasses of water
- Morning Snack: A small bowl of boiled kidney beans and 2 glasses of water
- Lunch: 1 cup brown rice cooked with mixed vegetables and 1 glass of water
- Evening Snack: 1 bowl of sprouted lentils with onions and lemon juice & 1 glass of water
- Dinner: 1 bowl of vegetable soup aka cabbage soup and 2 glasses of water
Day 7: It is also same for both vegetarians and non-vegetarians as it doesn’t contain any non-veg foods. So, please refer the non-vegetarian version for the list of foods and sample meal plan.
What to Eat after completing the GM Diet plan?
Once you’ve completed the GM Motors diet and lost some weight, you should follow a healthy lifestyle or else you’ll regain all the lost pounds within a very short time. It is therefore suggested to follow a low carb high protein diet in order lose or maintain your weight. Before that, here is a little science behind losing weight that you should know.
To lose 1 pound, a person need to spend or burn 3500 calories;
1 kg = 2.2 pounds; so, to lose 1 kg, you should burn 2.2 x 3500 = 7700 calories;
So, to lose quickly weight, you can either create a calorie deficit by following a low carb diet or burn more calories than you consume. For best results, it is advised to follow both diet and exercise. To know how many calories you need to eat to reach your target weight, here is a simple formula.
Using this calculator, find out your BMR or Basal Metabolic Rate. Multiply the result with the following number to get your daily calorie needs (DCN), which implies the default calorie burn rate of your body.
- If you’re sedentary (little or no exercise): DCN = BMR x 1.2
- If you’re lightly active (light exercise/sports 1 to 3 times a week): DCN = BMR x 1.375
- If you’re moderately active (3 to 5 times a week): DCN = BMR x 1.55
- If you’re very active (heavy exercise/sports 6-7 times a week): DCN = BMR x 1.725
- If you’re extra active (very hard working person all the time): DCN = BMR x 1.9
Example: If your BMR is 2200 calories and you lead a sedentary lifestyle, then your daily calorie needs would be 2200 x 1.2 = 2640 calories. That means, your body will burn 2640 calories per day even while you’re resting.
So, if your DCN (daily cal burn) is 2600, then you can eat 1800 calories per day and create a deficit of 800 calories per day through diet and burn 200 calories through exercise. So, on a whole you’re burning 1000 x 7 = 7000 calories or 2 pounds per week. Likewise, you can know how to lose weight naturally.
For example, if you wanted to lose 10 kgs of weight with a DCN of 2600, then you need to burn 10 x 2.2 x 3500 =77000 calories. Since it is not possible to burn so many calories in a single day or week, you can simply create a deficit of 1000 calories per day for 77 days (two and a half months) to lose those 10 kgs of weight safely.
How does the GM Diet work? (Scientific Proof)
Day 1: Since your system is not used to the diet plans to lose weight fast, you’ll be eating selected foods to make it habituated to the new eating lifestyle. The fruits are the nature’s perfect food and they provide everything (carbohydrates) you need to survive throughout the day.
Day 2: The baked potato with butter gives you complex carbohydrates due to which you’ll be getting enough energy and balance. The vegetables that you eat during the rest of the day contain very less calories and provide you with essential nutrients and lots of fibre.
Day 3: Since you’re getting carbs from the fruits, you can simply exclude the potato on this day. By today, your system has got used to the new eating habits and will start burning more pounds. You’ll still have some cravings, but they should diminish from day four onwards.
Day 4: You get potassium & sodium that you missed all these three days, from the Bananas and Calcium, from the milk. If you’re craving for sweets, then it will diminish today.
Day 5: Beef is rich in iron and proteins, whereas tomatoes provide you with fibre and helps in improving your digestion.
Day 6: You get iron and protein from beef/chicken, while the vegetables provide you with vitamins and fibre.
Day 7: The brown rice is high in fibre and also contains proteins, while the vegetables are rich in vitamins and fibre. The fruit juices help in cleansing your system further.
Once you completed the seven days of the GM diet program without any cheating, then you’ll definitely feel much lighter and healthier when compared to the first day.
Foods Allowed on the GM Diet
- Fruits = Watermelon, Cantaloups, Pear, Orange, Grapefruit, Apple, Kiwi, Pomegranates, Grapes, Papaya, Strawberries, Mangoes (only 1 per day)
- Vegetables = Potatoes (only for breakfast on 2nd day), Cabbage, Cauliflower, Broccoli, Carrot, Cucumber, Lettuce, Onions
- Meat = Beef, Chicken, Fish, Eggs
- Meat Alternatives = Tofu, Paneer, Brown rice
- Black Tea = Herb or Leaf (without sugar)
- Black Coffee (without sugar, cream or sweetener)
- Club soda
- Water (if desired, you can add lemon, cucumber & mint for flavor)
Foods not Allowed on the GM Diet
- Alcohol should not be consumed while on the GM motors diet as it contains a lot of calories with nil nutrients.
- Diet sodas
- You should stay away from fast foods, sweets and oil filled snacks.
Side Effects of the GM Diet
Like for everything in this world, even the GM diet program has got some side effects. They include:
- Headaches & Malaise: The first time dieters may experience slight headaches as well as uneasiness on the first two days and some until the third day. This is because their body is still in the process of getting used to the diet; therefore, if you’re determined to lose weight, then you can withstand these obstacles by continuing the diet as the side effects will diminish by the third day. However, people who stay well hydrated during the diet may not notice these problems.
- Thirst & Dehydration: As we said above, people who suffer from dehydration should drink adequate water. This also helps in flushing out the impurities from your body, thereby helping you to lose weight naturally.
- Muscle Weakness: Since the diet is a bit low in proteins on the first few days, you may be suffering with muscle weakness. This will diminish from day 4 onwards and that is the reason why it is not advised to perform any strenuous activities or workouts during the first 3 days of the diet.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Are the weight loss results permanent or will I gain weight again?
Ans) There is no medicine or diet in this world that guarantees permanent weight loss results. No matter how much or through which method you lost your pounds, you’ll regain weight if you’re back to your regular eating habits (unhealthy). So, it is advised to follow a healthy and balance lifestyle after finishing the 7 days GM diet program to help you lose weight, which in order to maintain your lost weight.
2.How many times can I follow the GM Motors diet?
Ans) You can follow the 1 week diet for as long as you reach your target weight. But, it is advised to take a break of at least 1 week after completing one session and start again. Meanwhile, during the break, you should eat a healthy & balanced meal in order to maintain your lost pounds.
3.Can I do workouts while on the GM diet program?
Ans) You’re not allowed to perform any strenuous activities or workouts during the first 3 days of the diet as you’ll not be having enough energy to perform such activities. You can however do light exercises like Yoga and meditation. From the day 4 onwards, you can practice the workouts you desired without any worries. But, please stay hydrated.
4.Can I eat rotis like pulka, chapatti, bread, cereal etc..?
Ans) NO! You may put on weight instead of losing it.
5.Can we use oil while cooking vegetables and meat?
Ans) Yes! But, only Olive oil is recommended, that too just 1 teaspoon.
6.Is the GM diet suitable for people with diabetics?
Ans) No! The people who’re suffering with diabetes, hypertension or other health related problems require a highly balanced diet with proteins and vitamins. Since the diet doesn’t meet the daily requirements of such people, it is not advisable for them to follow the General Motors diet. They can however, consult the physician and request for a low GI diet plan.
7.Can I follow the 7 day diet during the menstrual period?
Ans) No! It is not recommended to follow this diet during the 5 day period (menstrual cycle) as you may not be getting the correct weight loss results. So, plan your diet session either before or after the periods.
8.Can I drink Tea or Coffee while on the General Motors diet?
Ans) If it is black without milk, sugar or cream, then it is OK. Else, it is not recommended as it will hinder your weight loss results.
Cabbage Soup aka Wonder Soup Recipe
The cabbage soup is the main reason why the GM diet has become very successful in helping people to lose weight quickly and easily. It is low in calories and high in nutrition. The soup can be consumed on all days of the General Motors diet without any worries.
- ¼ Cabbage
- 1 Carrot
- 2 Tomatoes
- 3 Mushrooms (optional)
- 2-3 Cauliflower florets
- ½ Onion
- ½ Bell pepper
Wonder Soup Preparation: 1 serving
Peel and chop all the ingredients into small pieces and add them in a pressure cooker. Pour enough water until all the ingredients are submerged. Add some salt for taste and close the lid. Cook for 2 whistles, switch off the stove and leave the pot for few minutes for the steam to go away. Now, you can take this soup in a bowl, add some lemon juice, pepper for taste and enjoy.
Power Soup aka Tomato Soup Recipe
This is another healthy and tasty soup that is mainly taken on the fifth day of the GM diet when only the tomatoes are allowed. It is rich in fibre and also aids in digestion.
- 2 Tomatoes
- 2 Onions
- 1 Green pepper
- Chopped celery and cabbage mix
- Water (enough to submerge all the ingredients)
Power Soup Preparation:
Take a medium size pot and pour some water. Let the water boil for some time and add all the ingredients (chopped) except the celery & cabbage mix into the pot along with salt for taste. Once it is half boiled, add the mix of celery and cabbage and leave until they are tender. You can now switch off the stove and serve it hot.
Baked Beef/Chicken/Fish Recipe
This dish can be served on the fifth and sixth day of the GM diet. Since our motto is to lose weight, we should not use regular cooking method to prepare this recipe.
- 1 piece of lean beef or 1 chicken breast (skinless) or 3 fish fillets (pick any one variety)
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tsp Ginger-Garlic paste
- 1 tsp of onion paste
- Black pepper (your choice)
- Chopped coriander (your choice)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Procedure: 1 serving
You can either prepare this recipe using the Oven or on a Pan. If you choose oven, then preheat it to 325 degrees Fahrenheit or 165 degree Celsius. Now take a small bowl and add all the ingredients except the beef/chicken/fish into the bowl and mix them well. Now, coat this mixture on the pieces and leave them for few minutes. Then, apply the Olive oil on the baking tray and place the coated pieces on it. Place the tray inside the oven and bake them for 20 minutes. Finally, serve it hot by sprinkling some lemon juice for additional taste.
In case if you choose the Pan, then follow the same procedure for coating the mixture, but add the Olive oil on the pan and fry the pieces until they flake easily.
Brown Rice with Moong Sprouts Recipe
This brown rice pulao can be had on day 7 or if you’re a vegetarian, then you can also have it on day 5 and 6.
- ½ cup Brown rice (soak the rice in water for 30 min before cooking)
- ½ cup moong sprouts (soaked in water overnight) or vegetables of your choice
- 3 tbsp roasted peanuts
- Chopped coriander (as per your taste)
- ½ Onion (chopped)
- Salt and chilli powder (as required)
Take a bowl (pressure cooker), add 1 tbsp of olive oil and fry the onions, peanuts until they turn golden brown. Next, pour some water and let it boil for some time. Then, add the sprouts/vegetables, brown rice, salt and chilli powder. Let the ingredients be cooked on a medium flame for another 15 minutes or until 3 whistles. Open the lid after few minutes, sprinkle some coriander leaves (chopped) and serve hot.
Beef/Chicken and Mushroom Soup
You can have this soup on day 5 and 6 of the GM diet.
- 250 gms of Skinless chicken or lean beef
- 1 cup sliced Mushrooms
- 1 stalk of celery
- 2 tbsp chopped spring onions
- 1 Garlic clove (crushed)
- ¼ piece of Ginger
- 2 tbsp of Olive oil
- 1 or 2 chopped Green chillies (your requirement)
- Salt and pepper for taste
First, take a bowl and fry the onions, garlic, ginger, mushrooms, green chillies and celery using the Olive oil until tender. Then, add the chicken/beef pieces and fry them for another 5 minutes on a low flame. Add enough water to the bowl and let it boil for some time. Then, sprinkle some salt and pepper as needed & close the lid. Wait for 25 minutes or 4-5 whistles for the soup to be cooked properly. Take the soup into a bowl; sprinkle some coriander, pepper and lemon juice for taste.
Grilled Chicken/Beef/Fish Kebab Recipe
You can enjoy these kebabs on the non-vegetarian GM diet days – 5 and 6.
- ¼ kg of skinless chicken or lean beef or fish (cut into round pieces)
- 1 tbsp of Olive oil
- 2 Yellow bell peppers
- 2 Green bell peppers
- 2 Onions
- 2 Tomatoes
- Salt & pepper for taste
Skew the chicken/fish/beef pieces together with all the ingredients on a barbecue stick. Rub some olive oil, salt and pepper on all the sides. Now, place the stick in an oven and cook them until all the pieces become tender. Alternatively, you can also put it on an open fire and fry them. Once fried, you can garnish these kebabs with cucumber slices and serve hot.
That’s all friends! If you’re looking to shed some pounds to show up at your friend’s wedding or for an upcoming occasion, then you can follow this GM diet program and easily lose quickly weight around 10 to 15 pounds (5 to 7 kgs) in just 7 days with little or no exercise.