As part of any good bug-out-bag, you should have multiple ways to start a fire (at least 3). You’ve got matches and your standard lighters, but a solid fire-starter is a must. My favorite of these is the Bear Grylls fire starter.
This fire starter is compact and watertight, allowing you to even keep tinder (cotton balls ideal) safe and dry in the cap.
It has the following features:
- Compact fire starter with ferrocerium rod and metal striker
- Lanyard to keep product secure and together
- Emergency Whistle – Integrated into lanyard cord
- Waterproof storage compartment for tinder
- Land to air rescue instructions and SOS
- Priorities of Survival – Pocket guide contains Bear Grylls’ survival essentials
The following video is of Bear Grylls himself, demonstrating how to use his fire starter.
It produces some of the best sparks and when used with cotton balls it becomes a very effective way to start your fire.
Whether you are camping, hiking, or in a survival situation, the Bear Grylls fire starter should be included in your kit.