A good, loud whistle should be a standard tool to include in your bug-out-bag or your child’s backpack. It can help ward off predators and most importantly, signal for attention and help. The “world’s loudest whistle” is Windstorm Safety Whistle, which has a unique design with two internal chambers. The first is a self-purging chamber that contains a polymer-coated ball that works to clear the whistle’s body. The secondary harmonic chamber creates an airspace and is where the whistle’s sound comes from (see video further below for illustration). This design allows the STORM whistle to work when wet, even underwater.
From 20 feet away, the STORM whistle has a power rating of 94.7 decibels. Compare that with some U.S. military whistles with a power rating of 86.8 decibels. It emits a frequency of 3,150 hertz, allowing it to be heard over strong winds and engines. Twice as loud as any other mouth-blown whistle, it is a great piece of equipment for campers, hunters, hikers, scuba divers, snorkelers, police, firefighters, sporting events, and military personnel.
Of American design, you can hold the STORM whistle on any side without interfering with the noise produced.
This video demonstrates it’s capabilities and gives some further technical information.
The STORM Safety Whistle is currently being used by the following groups as a personal alarm when an extremely loud alarm is called for:
- Special Forces Fort Bragg, North Carolina
- U.S. Department of Agriculture
- U.S. Department of the Interior
- U.S. Coast Guard, Washington, D.C.
- U.S. Naval Destroyer, U.S.N.S. John Ericsson
- U.S. Aircraft Carrier, U.S.S. Enterprise
- U.S. Army Troop Support Avionic Command, St. Louis, Missouri
- Park Forest Police Department, Park Forest, Illinois
- NFL Referees
- Yuba City Police Department, Yuba City, California
- Emergency Survival Systems, Sunnyville, California
- Disaster Solutions, Venice, Florida
- Dive Rescue, Fort Collins, Colorado
- New York Police Department
- Chicago Police Department
- Fort Worth Police Department
- Atlanta Police Department
- American Red Cross
Audible on land at over half a mile and underwater up to 50 feet, the STORM Safety Whistle comes in 3 colors for whatever your mission calls for, whether it’s for survival or lifeguarding. Go to Amazon to grab your own Windstorm Safety Whistle and add another great survival tool to your collection!!